Gluten Free & Casein Free (Non-Dairy) Caramel Apple Cake
- 1 1/2 cups canola oil
- 1 1/2 cups organic sugar
- 1/2 packed brown sugar
- 3 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 cups Bob's Redmill Gluten Free All purpose Flour
- 2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (fine sea salt is prefered)
- 1/2 teaspooon ground nutmeg
- 3 1/2 cups diced peeled apples (honey crisp, granny, gala)
- 8 oz applesauce
- 1 cup of Chopped walnuts (optional)
- 1/2 Cup of paked brown sugar
- 1/3 cup of Coconut cream
- 1/4 cup of Smart Balance Light (regular contains casein)
- dash of salt
- 1 cup of confectioners' sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts (optional)
In a large bowl, combine oil and sugar until well blended. Add eggs, one at a time, beat well after each one. Beat in vanilla. Combine: flour,cinnamon,baking soda,salt and nutmeg. Add to wet mixture. blend well. Fold in apples ( and walnuts if using). Pour into greased and floured pan. Bundt pans, 8x13 pans, round pans work well. Bake at 325F for 1 1/2 hours. When a toothpick comes out clean you are done.
In small sauce combine: brown sugar, coconut crean ,butter and salt. Till smooth. Let cool for 10 minutes. Add in vanilla. Stir well. Then add in confectioner's Sugar and beat for 5 minutes. Let cool then drizzle over cake. Drop walnuts onto icing (optional).
The cake batter is thick and does not look like it has enough liquid, but it does.
The original reciepe comes from "Taste of Home Baking Classics" and was written by: Marilyn Paradis, from Oregon.